Preventive Dental Care
Diet & Snacking
A healthy diet is a balanced diet that naturally supplies all the nutrients your child needs to grow. What’s a balanced diet? One that includes the following major food groups every day: fruits and vegetables, breads and cereals, milk and dairy products, meat, fish, and eggs
- Daily oral hygiene – small amount of fluoride toothpaste on brush (2 daily)
- Diet – eliminate bottles with sugared fluids/juices. Limit between meals.
- Sugar free gum – parent of high risk infant xylitol-containing gum
- Antibacterial rinse – parent use chlorhexidine gluconate once daily for 2 weeks every 2-3 months. Use fluoride rinse daily in intervening weeks.
- For dry mouth in children over 5 years of age – baking soda toothpaste with fluoride, xylitol gum, rinse frequently with baking soda suspension in water.